English Grants and Funding

Current  Flood Grant Schemes

Household Flood Resilience Grant

The Household Flood Resilience Grant Scheme is a national scheme, allowing for up to £5000 funding from the UK government in order to offset the cost of flood resistance and resilience measures, to repair damage caused between 3rd and 11th December 2015. Further details on this scheme are available here.

This PDF document will explain the claims progress for application of this grant and explains what measures can be covered in the application. Indicative costs of each measure are also provided.

If you would like to apply for this scheme, please click here.

Click below for a video on “Why you should apply for the Flood Resilience Grant”.


Cumbria Flood Recovery Grants

Homeowners in Cumbria may be eligible for a grant from the Cumbria Flood Recovery Fund 2015. Alternatively, the application form can be emailed to you directly by accessing this link. The flood recovery fund is a charity grant from the Cumbria Community Foundation, which allows additional funding to be claimed in order to aid defences and recovery efforts for homes.

The currently available grants for residents in Cumbria can be found online. Please click here to get more information and help in applying for a flood grant. These grants can allow up to £2000 for individuals for flood resistance/flood resilience funding measures.  In addition to this, hardship grants (normally range between £500 and £2,000 – however, in exceptional circumstances, grants of up to £6,000 will be considered) are also available. Further requests may be made after a month.


Communities and Business Recovery Scheme

Under the communities and business recovery scheme, government funding has been provided to the local authorrities affected by Storms Desmond and Eva December during December 2015. This funding is to help recovery, but the local authority decides how to allocate the money to best meet local needs. This allows the issuing of payments of up to £500. For more information please click here. This will give information about various flood relief schemes and the applicability requirements of candidates.


Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution (RABI)

RABI are a UK based welfare charity aimed at improving the live of farmers and their families across the country. They can provide financial and guidance support for farmers who have been impacted by flooding in recent years. RABI’s help in a crisis page gives more details about ways they may be able to help. RABI paid out over £31,000 in a single month in grant funding to assist farmers following the devastation of winter flooding in 2015.

If you are a farmer and have been affected by flooding visit RABI’s website and see their ‘how to apply for help‘ page for further information.


Tax relief

Local authorities offer reductions in council tax/business rates to occupiers of property that has been flooded. Consult your local authority to find out what is available and to see if you are eligible, this can be accessed here.

Council Tax Relief (residential property only) – This document will give further information on the flood support schemes including the Council Tax Relief scheme. As well as grant funding opportunities, this may allow a short break in council tax payments which will free up additional funding to carry out repairs as a resulting from flooding. For more information, please contact your local council.

Business Rate Relief (commercial property only) – Businesses can obtain a reduced business rate following flooding events in a similar manor to residential council tax payment relief. More information is available here.

If you run a business and have taken out Business Interruption insurance, you may be able to claim to pay employee salaries for the duration of the time you are out of your premises, secure funds to continue to trade from an alternative site and maintain cash flow while your ability to trade is restricted. If you are unsure about what is covered under this Business Interruption insurance, we advise that you contact your insurer.


Additional Grants/Funding

You may be entitled to additional funding from various independent charities. For more advice on this, please visit the Turn2Us website. A link to this is available here.

If you are struggling to meet the costs of alternative accommodation or replacing essential belongings, you may qualify for an emergency payment from the Citizens Advice Bureau, please click here for more details.

If you are concerned about a lack of housing as a result of flooding, Shelter’s website may prove useful.

You can also always contact the citizens advice bureau too for additional advice. The English section of the website may be able to confirm any additional details you are unsure about. You can access their website here.

The Red Cross Charity’s website also gives an array of information for support in an emergency.

Forage Aid may also be able to help if you are a farmer who has been flooded. You can contact them by clicking here.

Farmers in England and Wales may also be able to find assistance through the Addington Fund if affected by flooding events. This is through their Trustee’s Discretionary Fund which assesses applications on a case by case basis. To see if you could get funding to support your farm either call the Addington Fund on 01926 620135 or emailing our grants department at enquiries@addingtonfund.org.uk.


Concluded Flood Grant Schemes

Farming Recovery Fund

The Farming Recovery Fund (FRF) was a scheme for farmers in the North of England to provide additional funding for the completion of the recovery work and reparations to their farmland following the storms in December 2015. This funding came from the RDPE (Rural Development Programme for England) and was designed to help farmers whose agricultural land had been affected by flooding. The money went towards the costs of restoring their land to productivity as quickly as possible. Guidance documents, application forms and funding calculator tools are available here, alternatively you can get an application form by clicking here. Feel free to view the guidance document on the FRF if you are unsure what work may be covered by this and if you are eligible.

Unfortunately intake of this flood grant funding closed on 1st April 2016.


If you have further information regarding flood grant funding in England, please contact us at resilience@bre.co.uk.


For further advice on how to obtain this financial assistance, please click here.


Featured image: Flag by Jim Champion | CC BY-SA 2.0 (cropped)

Page image: Consumer Spending by 401(K) 2012 | CC BY-SA 2.0