Flood Risk Management Act
Funded through SEPA (Scottish Environment Protection Agency) and established in 2009, the Flood Risk Management Act is designed to create a more “sustainable and modern approach to flood risk management” through a staged implementation of new legislation.
This integrated approach has several key measures that are to be included:
- A framework for coordination and cooperation between all organisations involved in flood risk management
- Assessment of flood risk and preparation of flood risk management plans
- New responsibilities for SEPA, Scottish Water and local authorities in relation to flood risk management
- A revised, streamlined process for flood protection schemes
- New methods to enable stakeholders and the public to contribute to managing flood risk, and;
- A single enforcement authority for the safe operation of Scotland’s reservoirs.
The full Flood Risk Management Act can be downloaded in PDF format here.