What types of flood protection are available?

Where a property is likely to flood, it may be sensible to incorporate in its design, measures to reduce or avoid future flood damage and disruption to the property or business carried on there.  A new property can be designed so that the garage or storage areas are where the flood waters will go, not the living quarters.  Alternatively PLP can be retrofitted at a later date.  Where the property has already flooded and is to be repaired, it may be possible to do so in a manner which incorporates some PLP.

There are two types of PLP, described below. You will need professional advice on which will best control the flood risk that affects your property.  This will depend on the structure of the property (how strong is it), the depth of flooding and the type of flooding. The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) can help to find a suitable surveyor to carry out a flood survey and advise you on what PLP options you could use – visit the RICS website here.

Before asking the expert to carry out a flood survey, it is sensible to first establish the flood risk profile of the property.  For more information on how to do that, click hereOnce you have completed this flood risk profile and had an expert flood survey conducted on your property, you will need to consider your options of flood risk and flood resilience measures.

Please click on the buttons below to find out more about the types of flood resistance and flood resilience measures available:





Where PLP is unsuitable it may be worth finding out whether there are any plans to improve the local community flood defences. Sometimes there is a scheme for new or enhanced defences which are on hold waiting for the local residents and/or businesses to provide part of the construction cost.  Much of the work on public flood defences is now funded jointly by the EA and the local residents.  For more details, see DEFRA’s publication on Flood and Coastal Resilience Partnership FundingAn additional introductory guide to this publication is available here. If you are considering carrying out PLP work, you need to check with your landlord (if you have one) to make sure they do not object to this work, and with your lender. It may be with checking the attitude of your insurer to the proposed works too.


See the video below for technical guidance from Mary Dhonau OBE on the types of flood resilience measures that are available to you.