To make it easier to claim on your insurance for the flood damage:
- Take pictures of damaged items in situ (before starting clearance)
- Make an inventory of the damaged items (make, model, colour, age)
- Do not dispose of damaged items until you have cleared this with your insurer as the loss adjuster may need to see them first.
- Take pictures of the damage to the property itself (for example debris, contamination, water tide marks on walls, cracks in walls or floor screeds)
- Locate and copy any purchase receipts for flood damaged items.
If you will not be claiming on your insurance policy (either because you do not have one or the costs of rectifying the flood damage fall below the excess level on the policy) then there is no need to do any of these things.