- Find out your flood risk
- If your business is at risk, make a flood plan
- If your business is at risk, sign up for EA Flood Warnings by phone/text and check the online flood warnings regularly. Sign up for free text or email alerts for your business from the EA or SEPA if there is a risk of flooding to your business. For England and Wales flood alerts, please click here. For flood alerts in Scotland, please click here. If you prefer to sign up by phone (rather than online), please call Floodline on 0345 988 1188.
Live online flood warnings
Real time flood warnings can be found online for England, Wales and Scotland. These highlight the locations of each warning, the water course that is affected and the severity of the warning at each location. There are three severity levels for these alerts:
- Alert – this is the lowest level. Simply check your business’ flood plan / flood kit and continue to monitor for further warnings.
- Warning – the second level of the online flood warning system. Upon receiving this warning in your area, you should ensure all defences are in place on the property and move any valuables to a safe place where they will not be affected by floodwater.
- Severe Warning – If a severe warning has been placed on your business, there is a significant threat to human life. In this circumstance, it is advised that you evacuate the property immediately and move to higher ground. Remember you can call 999 if there is any danger to human life.
- Make sure that you have full flood cover when you buy your buildings/contents insurance.
- Keep on top of basic maintenance work that keeps the property watertight
- Repair the seals between your window and door frames and brickwork so there are no gaps.
- Repoint the external brickwork, if this is damaged. Age often leads to cracks, sections dropping away and greater porosity. Repointing corrects these defects.
- Consider putting in flood resistance measures or flood resilience measures. More information is available here.
For more information on how to make a home flood resilient, please see the video below. Similar principles will apply to a business property.